Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dorothy Hubbell

Dorothy Hubbell is 89 years old. She is a friend of the family here in Montour Falls and is a joy to be around with her impish grin and flirtatious winks. She loves to sip hot chocolate with her meals, will play Mexican Train dominoes any old time and gives Simon a run for his money when it comes to critiquing the talent on American Idol. A couple weeks ago I watched one of the American Idol auditions with her and her daughter, Claudia. Just to shoot the breeze I asked, "So, Dorothy, what are you giving up for Lent?" "Nothing," was her emphatic reply. Somehow, this struck me as a good idea for a song--a conversation with Dorothy about Lent. I made a mental note as I drove home through the thick fog and set up a tea date with her for Saturday. Over Salada green tea and sugar cookies we talked about her life.

No comments: